Iowa State University Veterinarian Records, RS 22/6/0/9, University Archives, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University, http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/arch/rgrp/22-6-0-9.html
Dr. Ross C. Baily began his professional career at Iowa State College in 1914. He was among the first freshman class to start a fouryear term in the new Veterinary Quadrangle. In 1914, Iowa State had the largest and newest collegiate gymnasium west of the Mississippi River. An interurban electric trolley system connected Des Moines, Ames, Boone and the Iowa State campus with hourly service. The campus had just been landscaped the year before with shrubs, bushes and trees. Lake Laverne had also been stocked with swans that year. In 1918, graduates of veterinary medicine were referred to as 'horse doctors'.
Bailey, Ross C.
"'Horse Doctors' and the Tuberculosis Testing Program in Iowa,"
Iowa State University Veterinarian: Vol. 47
, Article 11.
Available at: http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/iowastate_veterinarian/vol47/iss1/11