Iowa State University Veterinarian Records, RS 22/6/0/9, University Archives, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University, http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/arch/rgrp/22-6-0-9.html
Murli Manohar, B.V.Sc., Ph.D., of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, estimates that as many as 70 to 80 percent of Thoroughbred racehorses are "bleeders." After exercise - often even a mild warmup (breezing) - blood Hows from their nostrils or can be seen in the bronchial tubes with special scopes. "When 80 percent of animals have a condition, usually you would consider it to be normal and wonder what was wrong with the other 20 per cent that they didn't have it;' Dr. Manohar said. Dr. Manohar is studying bleeders at the University of Illinois through a grant from Morris Animal Foundation, Englewood, Colorado. The non-profit Foundation funds studies of the health problems of horses, dogs, cats and zoo animals.
Iowa State University Veterinarian
"Equine Epistaxis Research,"
Iowa State University Veterinarian: Vol. 48
, Article 1.
Available at: http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/iowastate_veterinarian/vol48/iss1/1