The permanent rule for elections to claim expense method depreciation1 for many years has been that elections had to be made on the original income tax return (whether or not timely) or on an amended return but only if filed within the time for filing a return (including extensions) for the taxable year.2 For taxable years beginning after 2002 and before 2008, a taxpayer is permitted to make an expense method depreciation election on an amended federal income tax return without the consent of the Commissioner.3 The amended return must be filed within the time prescribed for filing an amended return for the taxable year.4



To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.