•  
  •  
 

Ames Forester

Article Title

Iowa Woodlands

Abstract

WAT is now the state of Iowa was first surveyed between March 1832 and August 1859. Based upon this origional United States Land Office Survey, it has been estimated that 29,412,580 acres (82 percent) of the total state land area was covered by tall prairie grass at that time with the remaining 6,680,926 acres (18 percent) in forest. Today, less than 2,942 acres or 1/10 of one percent of the Iowa landscape remains in prairie. The state forest resource has likewise decreased. A comparison of forest in Iowa at the time of settlement and at present illustrates a dramatic reduction in acreage. Our forest resources continue to be diluted and jeoparidized by commercial, residential, recreational and agricultural development pressures. Projected demand threatens the health and survivability of our remaining forest resource.

Share

COinS
 
 

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.