The forestry section of the Department of Natural Resources had its beginning in 1935 with legislation directing the employment of "a professionally trained state forester.” The first state forester was G. B. McDonald, professor of forestry of Iowa State College. White Pine Hollow was acquired in 1936 as a state forest, and much of the original state forest acreage was acquired during the 1930's. A forest nursery was established at Ames in the mid 193OJs by the civilian Conservation Corps.
"Forestry Through the Years,"
Ames Forester: Vol. 74
, Article 6.
Available at: https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/amesforester/vol74/iss1/6