Water and Sediment Control Basins

Title

Water and Sediment Control Basins

Series Title

The Iowa Watershed Approach

Number

WQ 0024

Files

Link to Full Text

Download Full Text

Publication Date:

3-2018

Status

Current

Description

What are water and sediment control basins?Water and sediment control basins (WASCOBs) are designed along minor slopes or watercourses. They detain precipitation runoff during storm events and slowly discharge this water through a stable outlet, which reduces streamflow by 5%. Sediment in the runoff is deposited in the basin, removing 80% of total suspended solids in runoff, reducing the phosphorus load by 85% and improving downstream water quality. These basins eliminate gully erosion and can also remove pollutants such as nitrogen, metals, bacteria and hydrocarbons. The dry basin between storm events maintains land function and farmability and vegetation along the basin edge provides wildlife habitat.

Language

en

Disclaimer

Iowa State University Extension and Outreach publications in the Iowa State University Digital Repository are made available for historical purposes only. The information contained in these publications may be out of date. For current publications and information from Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, please visit

Water and Sediment Control Basins

Share

COinS