Iowa State University Veterinarian Records, RS 22/6/0/9, University Archives, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University, http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/arch/rgrp/22-6-0-9.html
Provision for the establishment of the Veterinary Division was by act of the Legislature, signed by Governor Lowe, March 22, 1858, providing for the establishment of a State Agricultural College and Farm to include veterinary studies among other courses to be taught. It was 13 years later when President Welch reported that, "for additional instruction seniors in agriculture will need a professor of practical agriculture, who, besides other important duties, will give lectures on camparative anatomy, physiology, and veterinary science. " Veterinary subjects as taught at that time were offered in the second semester of the senior year in agriculture.
"The Iowa State College Veterinary Medical Division 1858 -1948,"
Iowa State University Veterinarian: Vol. 10
, Article 3.
Available at: https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/iowastate_veterinarian/vol10/iss2/3