Iowa State University Veterinarian Records, RS 22/6/0/9, University Archives, Special Collections Department, Iowa State University, http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/arch/rgrp/22-6-0-9.html
Iowa State University was chartered by the Iowa General Assembly in 1858 as the Iowa Agricultural College. Concern for veterinary science was first noted in 1871: "Need a professor of practical agriculture, who, besides other important duties, will give lectures on comparative anatomy, physiology, and veterinary science." From 1872 to 1877 there was no veterinarian on the staff.
Ramsey, F. K.
"Planning the New Veterinary Facility,"
Iowa State University Veterinarian: Vol. 31
, Article 3.
Available at: https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/iowastate_veterinarian/vol31/iss1/3