The photograph that appeared on the cover of the past Iowa State University Veterinarian refreshed the memories of many former veterinary students. The clinic area of what was once known as the Veterinary Quadrangle (now Lagomarcino Hall) plays a significant role in the history of Iowa State. Throughout its lifetime, this section of the building has been a place for applied veterinary instruction, studios for sculpture and an office for student journalism. The construction of the Quadrangle was prompted by the poor conditions found in the veterinary hospital, which stood where the Memorial Union is now. The advancing knowledge of sanitation had deemed the building undesirable, as described by Dr. Charles Stange in his 1929 history of the Division of Veterinary Medicine.
Baumhover, Neil R.
Iowa State University Veterinarian: Vol. 58
, Article 8.
Available at: https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/iowastate_veterinarian/vol58/iss2/8