On February 14, 1954, the General Faculty of Iowa State University approved by voice vote the following motion: "That the General Faculty of Iowa State College establish a Faculty Council in accord with the provisions set forth in a statement entitled 'Basic Document.'" With this action the Faculty Council began its thirty-four year existence.
Madison, Olivia M.A.; Osborne, Wayne S.; and Haws, Rae, "Iowa State University Faculty Council, 1954–1988: A History" (1988). Library Administration Publications and Papers. 4.