1. Volatile aliphatic acids were found in considerable amount in all samples of good silage which we examined.
2. Acetic acid comprised about nine tenths of the total volatile acid present.
3. Propionic acid was next in importance to acetic.
4. Butyric acid was found in considerable amounts only in samples where some slight indications of spoiling were otherwise apparent.
5. Alcohols were found in appreciable quantities, but esters only in traces.
6. As far as volatile acids and alcohols are concerned, no differences were noted which could be attributed to differences in the type and construction of the silo.
Dox, Arthur W. and Neidig, Ray E.
"Volatile aliphatic acids of corn silage,"
Research Bulletin (Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station): Vol. 1
, Article 1.
Available at: https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/researchbulletin/vol1/iss7/1