Campus Units

Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Sociology

Document Type

Article

Publication Version

Accepted Manuscript

Publication Date

2018

Journal or Book Title

Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health

DOI

10.13031/jash.13039

Abstract

Iowa State University Extension and Outreach conducted an assessment of Iowa farm operators’ perceptions about the barriers and motivators when considering retrofitting tractors with rollover protective structures (ROPS). A statewide sample of approximately 2,000 farm operators were surveyed in the 2017 Iowa Farm and Rural Life Poll. A series of questions were asked to evaluate the importance of potential barriers to decisions not to retrofit a tractor and potential motivators that could influence the decision to retrofit or purchase a tractor with ROPS. The survey received a 48% response rate with 999 responses. Among the 76% of Iowa farm operators who reported at least one pre-1985 tractor, only 18.6% reported that all of those tractors had a ROPS. The remaining 81.4% had at least one tractor that did not have ROPS. Iowa farm operators’ perceptions about the barriers and motivators when considering retrofitting tractors with ROPS are shared. The results of Iowa farm operators’ perceptions will be used as Iowa State University Extension and Outreach prepares to align efforts with the National Tractor Safety Coalition, and participate in the National ROPS Rebate Program with a goal of lowering agricultural tractor fatalities.

Comments

This is a manuscript of an article published as Schwab, Charles V., J. Gordon Arbuckle, and H. Mark Hanna. "Barriers and Motivators for Tractors ROPS Retrofitting in Iowa." (2018). doi: 10.13031/jash.13039. Posted with permission.

Copyright Owner

American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers

Language

en

File Format

application/pdf

Published Version

Share

COinS