Department Chair: Michael Wannemuehler
Originally, the Department of Veterinary Hygiene sought to teach the identification and practice of proper hygiene in livestock facilities and food, disease prevention and immunology. Today, it seeks to examine infectious disease from the disciplines of immunology, bacteriology, microbiology, public health, and preventative and regulatory aspects, as well as examining the social, ethical, and environmental impacts of these issues.
The department originally began as the Department of Veterinary Hygiene in 1931. In 1967 its name changed to the Department of Microbiology and Preventive Medicine. In 1993 the department closed in 1993, and was reformed in 1999.
Dates of Existence
- Department of Veterinary Hygiene (1931-1967)
- College of Veterinary Medicine (parent college)